#1 Working Hostel in Tasmania
We provide a FREE HARVEST WORK PLACEMENT SERVICE to everyone staying with us.
We don't guarantee jobs but try very hard to find everyone harvest work. We deal directly with 30 different farms and job placement agencies so if there are harvest jobs in the region we will probably know about them.
Please note that all jobs are weather dependant and therefore may start at different times depending upon the season.
- Organic Farm weeding Commences in October.
- Vegetable harvesting including Potatoes, Zucchini, Broccoli and Lettuces
generally starts in November or December. (normally very slow to begin with)
- A few packing jobs will start mid December but most not until the first week of Jan.
- Apple thinning commences early in December.
- Cherry's start in December or January depending upon the weather.
- Raspberry's start the day after Xmas.
- Carrot, Onion and Broccoli packing jobs start at the beginning of Jan and
continue until June or July.
- Pears start in February.
- Flower farms start in February.
- Apple picking in March and April.
- Swedes commence in June and continue until September/October.
Generally we will try and find you work through out the season up until the end of June if you want. Some vegetables can go until end of September. We deal with about 20 different farms which all pay differently, some are hourly some pay for the amount you pick (contract).
Some farmers and factories provide their own transport. Public transport is available to some farms and packing shedsand we can help to organise carpooling. A small fee applies to most transport options. Individuals with a car generally receive jobs very quickly.
You will need a working visa, your tax file number and bank account details (BSB branch number and account number).